Super Visa Private Emergency Medical Insurance for Visiting Parents and Grandparents

Featured image of the SBIS tree logo set on a solid green background
When Canada is your adopted country, it’s great to enjoy extended visits from parents and grandparents. Here’s how to get insurance that meets their super visa requirements.

Family is so important, and if yours lives in another country, you know what it’s like to want them to visit and stay for a while. The good news when it comes to your parents and grandparents is…they can!

Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents may be eligible for a super visa that allows them multiple entries into Canada for up to two years at a time, and they can go back and forth for up to 10 years.

But here’s the catch: visitors to Canada are not covered under provincial health insurance plans.

If your parent or grandparent  becomes ill or injured while they’re here, would you want to face some significant out-of-pocket costs for healthcare? Or worse yet, have to hesitate to ensure they get the healthcare they need because of the cost?

That’s why it’s so important for a parent or grandparent to have private medical coverage that meets super visa guidelines.

Super visa insurance requirements

Anyone applying for a super visa must show proof of payment that they have private medical insurance coverage that meets requirements established by Canada Immigration and Citizenship. The private emergency medical insurance must be

  • Valid for one year from the time of arrival
  • Issued by a Canadian insurance company
  • Providing minimum coverage of $100,000
  • Coverage for emergency medical care, hospitalization and repatriation
  • Valid for each entry to Canada.

For more details, visit the Government of Canada’s parent and grandparent super visa website at

Travel Medical insurance can meet super visa requirements… and more

SBIS offers a variety of travel medical plans that can satisfy these requirements, and more.

  • Emergency coverage in Canada and for travel to other countries during the visit
  • Trip interruption insurance
  • Higher maximum coverage, up to $300,000
  • Hospital accommodation and physician services
  • Emergency medical or hospital laboratory tests and x-rays
  • Ambulance services
  • Prescription drug coverage (typically up to $500)
  • Casts, braces, crutches or rental of a wheelchair
  • Paramedical services like chiropractic care or acupuncture
  • Accidental dental coverage
  • Direct billing by medical providers
  • Emergency call centre support, with referrals in the event of an emergency.

Be prepared to pay one single annual premium in advance for the super visa insurance.

But what if…

  • The super visa is refused?
    The insurance can be cancelled for a full refund when you provide proof of the visa refusal prior to the effective date.
  • They decide to go home early?
    A partial refund may be available, less an administration fee, if there have been no claims reported, paid or denied and you provide proof of departure from Canada.

Ready to roll out the welcome mat?

Give us a call today. We can help you get the insurance your parents or grandparents need in place so that they can qualify for a super visa – and you can enjoy introducing them to your family and home in Canada.

2 Responses

  1. Dear [Company Name],

    I’ve been hearing positive reviews about your travel insurance plans and found your website very helpful.

    I’m interested in getting quotes for my parents and mother-in-law who are visiting me in Canada. I’m a permanent resident (PR) here, and they’ll be coming from India.

    On other websites, I’ve seen quotes for visitor insurance as high as $4,000 to $6,000, even though they’ll only be staying for 2 months. This seems quite expensive for such a short duration.

    Here’s some information about their health:

    Father (59): Had cancer nearly two years ago, but it’s currently in remission. He gets regular checkups every 3 months, and everything looks good.
    Mother (50s): Has a history of high blood pressure (BP), but it’s well-controlled.
    Mother-in-Law (45-50): No major health concerns.
    While I understand the Canadian requirement for $100,000 coverage with a 1-year validity, this significantly increases the cost for their 2-month stay.

    Is there any way to get a more affordable plan for their 2-month visit? Ideally, something that would become null and void upon their return flight.

    I’m open to any suggestions you might have.

    Additionally, I’m located in Lambert Lane, Canada.

    Could you please provide quotes for the lowest possible coverage for these individuals, or is it possible to pay the premium in installments (EMI) for the 2-month duration?

    Thank you for your time and assistance.

    Srinivas Rao

    1. Thank you for your question, I will have someone reach out to you via the email you provided to speak more specifically to your situation. If you have any further questions you can also contact us at 1-800-667-0429


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related posts